The Virtual Reality craze is still ongoing and it doesn’t look like it is going to stop anytime soon. Google have come up with a solution to what most people would consider the major problem with VR headsets and that is the price. More than 10 million of the Cardboard VR headsets have been purchased and it’s easy to see why. Not only is the product widely available for less than $10 but it is also made from fully recycled materials and can be recycled after use should it get damaged. Although the device more than definitely won’t provide the same experience as some of the top ends VR Headsets such as the Oculus Rift which is currently $600 on amazon that’s without any accessories as well, it’s still a VR experience!
For Google VR Cardboard to work on your Smartphone you simply need to download the cardboard app which has a few little demos built in to give you a taste of the VR experience. There are also lots of new apps being developed every day for Google cardboard; although there are already hundreds off Apps compatible with the headset we can only imagine how many there will be by the end of the year!
Google Cardboard Features
Google Cardboard is a unique product that is very different from any of the other VR headsets available on the market. The headset is made out of fully recycled cardboard and only comes with a few distinct features. There is a metal ring on the left-hand side of the device; this ring is linked to a magnet on the other side. Your phone is able to sense magnetic changes made by this pair which it recognizes as a click/touch on the screen. This is a perfect way to add a few features to games/apps where you might need to click at some point to switch views or go to the next game!
Another feature of Cardboard is that it is the only VR headset you can pick up and you only need Smartphone with the cardboard app to experience VR. Although it may not be the most advanced version of Virtual Reality Cardboard it could definitely be worse.
- Cheap, The Google Cardboard VR Headset is definitely the cheapest VR device available on the market today. There are even videos on how you can make your own version at home for less than $5!
- Environmentally friendly, With the headset being made of fully recycled cardboard, for the most part, it is hard to spot how this device could have any kind of detrimental effect on the environment. Although if you look at it from a different angle it could cause people to spend moe time on their phone, therefore using more electricity but let’s not go that far into it…
- Easily available, This product is available from a large number of retailers. Not only does this mean you can more than definitely get one in your local area but it also means there will always be an ongoing price war; Cheaper is always a win!
- Simple, It doesn’t get much easier when it comes to VR, my Grandma has enough technological knowledge to set up the VR Google Cardboard. This means that anybody in the world can set-up and use the headset from your little Brother to your Great Grandad. All you have to do is download the Cardboard app and then scan the QR code to match it to your headset; choose a VR App to experience and off you go!
- Lack of content/good content, Although this is improving by the day there is still a shortage of amazing apps to play on the Google VR Cardboard. Part of this can be put down to the fact that the headset simply isn’t a $600 VR headset. Another reason is developers don’t want to spend too much on the apps as they would rather use their budget in more effective ways.
- Simulation sickness, this is one of the biggest problems Virtual Reality has faced generally not only with Google Cardboard. Although this problem in much harder for them to address as everybody is using different smartphones which have different display sizes and capabilities. Which makes it hard to address Simulation sickness for one device as it may make It worse on a different device. We would say just don’t use the device for more than 10/15 minutes at a time.
- Hardware, Everbody’s phones have different bits of hardware inside of them which means certain phones can perform much faster than others. This is a massive problem for app developers especially when they are developing apps for the latest hardware and software and somebody with a phone they bought 7/8 years ago is also trying to use the app expecting it to run smoothly.
Many people on the Amazon marketplace have spoken about how easy the device is to set up and use which shows Googles idea of making an easily accessible, fun yet cheap VR headset alternative was successful! One person said that “This product is exactly what I thought I was getting for the price and more. Very pleased!”
The overall rating of the headset on amazon is a well earned 4 stars. Another customers left a five-star rating and stated in his review that the product “Exceeded all my expectations”.
Google have made a massive step in bringing everybody around the world a VR experience, most people can’t afford to fork out the usual $400-$1000 price tag on a top of the line Virtual reality headset. Although most people can afford $10 and are able to download an app, that is why in our opinion this fantastic invention should be promoted more and developed further. If you haven’t experienced VR then this is an ideal opportunity to do so without taking out a loan! Don’t forget that this headset can be used by the whole family no matter their age or what device they’re on (as long as it’s a Smartphone).